sub header

These words are my diary screaming out loud

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

#Reverb10 December 21st

The Prompt: Future self. Imagine yourself five years from now. What advice would you give your current self for the year ahead? (Bonus: Write a note to yourself 10 years ago. What would you tell your younger self?)

Wait, what? How am I supposed to imagine myself 5 years in the future and give me advice for this year?? This makes no sense. Therefore, I'm not doing it. I mean really. If I'm trying to figure out NEXT year, how the hell am I supposed to figure out 5 years from now too? Dumb.

However, I DO like the Bonus piece, so let's focus on that one.

Dear 20 year old Me,

The year 2001 is going to be something else.  You don't know it yet, but 2000 was the last year of life as you know it.

You know how things have been sucking with the boyfriend for a while? Just get over it and get rid of him now. You'll save yourself a lot of heartache in a few months. Take control, and do it your way. Don't let him, or any other guy for that matter, have that much control over your life and your feelings every again.

Take Ring Dance with a grain of salt. Have fun, but don't take it too seriously. And again, do NOT let a guy control your life or emotions or direction.

Beware for shady guys this summer - especially really tall, really skinny ones. They're just no good. STAY AWAY.

Your friends are the most important thing on the planet. DO NOT SCREW UP the friendships that mean the most to you.  Do everything in your power to fix the ones that are on the rocks.

In about 9 months, things are going to change forever.  The reasons you signed that 2 for 7 paper a few weeks ago will change drastically. The world will be a different place, and it will never go back to how it was. Enjoy the first 9 months of this year, and appreciate the small things.

Be yourself. Figure out who that is, because I know you're not sure yet. Make the decisions that you need to make, and make them for yourself. You are the only one who controls your life and your destiny, and don't let anyone else try.

Love,
30 year old me

No comments: