sub header

These words are my diary screaming out loud

Saturday, August 07, 2010

Murphy's Law

Wednesday evening, after work, I decided to go to the grocery store. I had been planning to wait until the weekend, but realized that I really didn't have that much food left in the house, especially breakfast or things to take to lunch. So I headed over to Safeway, coupons and weekly circular in hand, and managed to fill up a grocery cart and save 28% on my final bill. I was amazingly proud of myself.

Thursday, I got home from work after the mad thunderstorm that had blown through the area, and the power was out in my building. I didn't worry about it too much, because in all the time I've lived in this building the power had only gone out for longer than a few minutes once, and even then it was back on in about 3 hours.

Oh no. This time, it stayed out for about 28 hours.

See where this is going? When I got home from dinner last night, I had to throw away everything in the fridge except for a few things that don't actually require refrigeration. When I got to the freezer, luckily all of the meat that I had bought and stacked in the back of the freezer was still solid. But just about everything else, in the door or in the front of the freezer, was soft. I should have just waited until the weekend, go figure.

There is some good news out of all this, though. USAA renters insurance will compensate for food spoilage as long as the power is out for more than 3 hours. So I have some money coming to help replace all of that. But it still makes for a pain in the butt!! Thanks USAA for once again taking great care of me!! If you are now or have ever been in the military and don't have USAA, you are totally missing out.

No comments: