sub header

These words are my diary screaming out loud

Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Hey look, I can cook!

Going paleo has lighted some sort of a cooking fire in me. I guess out of a desire to really stick to it, I've been cooking a lot more. Now, I'm not a great cook, but I can follow a recipe all day long. Here are some of the best ones I've followed so far:

Moist Chocolate Zucchini Bread

Spicy Pineapple Chili


Sugar Detox Pumpkin Mug Cake


Apple Shallot Pork Chops (from Everyday Paleo) and Cauliflower Mash (from Paleo Comfort Foods)



Puerto Rican Beef over Mashed Sweet Potatoes (from Everyday Paleo)



Coconut Shrimp (from Everyday Paleo)


Sweet Potato and Chorizo Hash (modified from Everyday Paleo)

Maple Mustard Chicken Thighs (although we did them in a skillet, not on the grill), Curry Roasted Cauliflower (from Everyday Paleo), and steamed broccoli
I also tried out the concept of using spaghetti squash instead of pasta. When I first cut into it, I was a little unsure - it basically looks like the inside of a pumpkin, gooey and thready and lots of seeds, and the flesh looks very much like any other squash you might come across. But I went with it, cooked it in the pressure cooker, and when it was done, this is what it looked like - just like angel hair pasta! Its a little sweeter, but works perfectly as a vessel for a nice hearty meat sauce, as well as in this recipe, which I didn't take pictures of.
My new favorite thing - spaghetti squash!
Its been pretty fun, and I've been pretty proud of my accomplishments so far. Next up, I have a couple of chicken recipes and a couple of beef stews that I want to try, although I'm trying to wait until it cools off a little for those. The Paleo Comfort Foods cookbook also has a recipe for Tom Ka Gai soup, which is one of Matt's favorite things, that I'm excited to try to see if I can live up to the Thai restaurants :)  And I'm not sick of cooking yet, but I am sick of doing all the dishes!!

No comments: