sub header

These words are my diary screaming out loud

Friday, April 16, 2010

Help A (Well, My) Sister Out!

 When my sister Emily was almost 3 years old, she was diagnosed with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis.  One of nearly 300,000 children under 18 affected by the disease, Emily has been one of the lucky ones. A combination of outstanding doctors and excellent response to her medications, Emily has, for the most part, been able to live the life of a normal child.  Now 18 and about to graduate from high school, Emily is a member of her high school's track team (she pole vaults!), and will be attending York College in Pennsylvania this fall.

On May 15th, I will once again be joining my family in the Arthritis Walk, which is among the largest fundraisers for the Arthritis Foundation. In past years we've held a small walk in Fairfax County, but this year we're combining with some of the other smaller walks to have a bigger and hopefully more visible walk on the National Mall. My goal is to raise $500 for the walk, and I could use any help anyone can give me. I know times are rough, but if you can spare a little, it's going to a GREAT cause. Please click on the website, read a little about the walk, and donate if you can. If you're in the DC Area and would like to participate, please join the team my sisters co-captain, the Flying Pigs.

Thanks for your help! Here's hoping that some day all kids can have the opportunity to have the sorts of results that Emily has had!

No comments: