sub header

These words are my diary screaming out loud

Tuesday, June 07, 2011

A Politics (but not political, I swear) Post

You know, I don't usually get political on this blog. On purpose. And I'm not trying to get political now, even though I do think that Sarah Palin is a less than ideal candidate for... well, anything, to be honest.  And I rarely agree with Eugene Robinson; I generally think that he's a blind liberal in the way that many conservatives are blind conservatives.  But every once in a while, he gets something right. And this opinion piece on Sarah Palin's version of Paul Revere's ride is one of those times.

From the article:

It was comical and weird, like a lot of Palin’s antics, but so what? Anybody can have a momentary lapse and say something dumb in front of a television camera. You laugh it off and move on.

Unless you’re Sarah Palin. She appeared on “Fox News Sunday,” and Chris Wallace asked the obvious question: “You realized that you messed up about Paul Revere, don’t you?” He must have expected her to be charmingly self-deprecating. Instead, to Wallace’s evident surprise, she insisted that her ridiculous account was correct.
I swear I learned as a young child that people will respond better if you just fess up that you made a mistake than if you keep insisting. But no! There are even people fighting on Wikipedia, trying to update the Paul Revere site to reflect closer to what Sarah Palin said!!

This statement by Eugene is most poignant to me: 
The gaffe is understandable — well, almost understandable. But she doubled down with a claim of persecution and a bald-faced lie. That is what we ignore at our peril.

This is a small, unimportant matter. But Palin demands to be seen as a big, important person in the nation’s political life.
In my book, this is a red flag, no matter what letter comes after your name.

No comments: