sub header

These words are my diary screaming out loud

Friday, June 03, 2011

Medical sagas of late... sorry, I had to

I feel like I've spent the last couple of weeks in the Doctor's office.

I thought about it yesterday, and in the last 3 weeks I've been to my general practitioner, the dentist twice, the allergist 4 times (shots have started - more on that in a minute), the radiologist, and the chiropractor. And next week I get to go to the ENT. I am a hot mess, and I'm going to play old lady and whine about my ailments for a little bit.

The general practitioner was just a regularly scheduled write me some more prescriptions visit. Nothing exciting. The dentist, which is actually now 4 times in the last month and a half or so, was for a filling and then back to get the filling filed down. HATE. It was my first filling, and I did not enjoy that process, thank you very much. And the chiropractor was just my regular adjustment. So no big deal on those, but they add up. The allergist stuff though... that's another story.  I've had allergies for years. As long as I can remember, but nothing ever severe enough to get checked out. Probably 5 or 6 years ago I started on a cocktail of allergy meds, because they didn't want to test me while I was on active duty. But in the last couple of years, I've been having about once a quarter incidents of what I like to call "sinus explosion."  I felt like they were sinus infections, but after being told by one doctor that they weren't and it was just allergies and/or a cold, I didn't try to go to the doctor again. But after this last round in April, I decided that I couldn't take it anymore and called an allergist.  I went and did the whole stick you tons of times across your back allergy tests, and the doctor took one look at the results and said well, its no wonder you feel crappy all the time! HALLELUJAH, praise the Lord, I might be getting some answers FINALLY.  She wanted to do a blood test to make sure that I will do well on allergy tests, and she wanted me to get a CT scan of my sinuses just to make sure that there's not something chronic going on in the sinuses.  The CT scan came back with enough issue that she wanted me to see an ENT, so I get to do that next week. Thank goodness for sick leave!!  I started the shots 2 weeks ago, so I've had 3 now. They say it can take months to feel the differences, and I can't wait. I also hope that the ENT can help with some of this as well. I just want to feel normal!!

And now I'm done with the ailment rant. Hopefully in the next few months I'll have updates that I'm feeling better and getting things sorted out.  Now if only I could get that extra weight off. Even though I'm spending an inordinate amount of time in Dr's offices, I'm glad to be finally taking control of my own health. I just wish I'd been more willing to demand it when it was all free through the military - even though I have awesome insurance, it doesn't cover everything!!

And now, cake next door... not that I need it!

No comments: