sub header

These words are my diary screaming out loud

Friday, February 25, 2005

Family Matters

I dont think most people realize how much our old relatives really love company. I spent just over 24 hours this week in Rochester, Minnesota visiting my great-grandparents, who are 95 years old and live at a retirement home attached to and owned by the Mayo Clinic. They were so excited to see me, and so glad that I came to visit them. Even though it was quite possibly the most boring 2 days of my life, it was also I think the most meaningful and appreciated in a very long time. They are obviously too old to travel anymore, and therefore the only way they see anyone is if other people travel to see them. Their daughter and her kids all live in the Minneapolis-St Paul area, but all of my Mom's brothers and sisters live all over the place, so they rarely see our side of the family. I felt like by going to see them I had really done something important, and I felt the best about myself that I had felt in ages. Its quite a nice feeling.

No comments: