sub header

These words are my diary screaming out loud

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Another one down

The bane of many a sailor's existence: the PRT. Ever since I have been in the Navy I have dreaded it. Not just because they put me on a scale and broadcast to the world my weight and inaccurately measured body fat percentage, although that right there is enough to give any normal girl a complex. Not because its a career ender if you fail it. Mostly, its just a large pain in the butt. The only good thing about it was making the discovery earlier this year that if I swim it I can score higher, and as an added bonus, my knee doesnt swell up to the size of a softball. So thats what Ive been doing. Of course, its still a pain, but a lot less of one for me.

The problem, as far as I can see, is how we do it. First of all, the standards are set expecting 10% to fail. It says it right in the instruction. So already we are setting people up for failure. Then when we do fail, we have this Fitness Enhancement Program we are supposed to put people on, yet we rarely actually allow them to do it. Cant let them out of work, or were underway... physical readiness is just not important, at least not in the surface community. In other communities they schedule it into the work day. Not us (in general). Find your own time. Awesome.

OK, Im done with my semi-annual rant now. Im done, I did just fine, til next time...

No comments: