sub header

These words are my diary screaming out loud

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

#Reverb10 December 29th

The Prompt: Defining moment. Describe a defining moment or series of events that has affected your life this year.

I'm pretty sure that my defining series of events this year include moving back to DC, starting the new job, Matt moving up, and restarting my masters program. But except for the masters program, I've already talked about most of them at length in this project, so I'll just stick with that one.

When I was in DC on active duty a few years back, and I had my first evaluation with the big boss, he asked me if I had started my masters yet. I said no, and he asked why, and I didn't really have a good reason. I mean, I didn't really have a good reason TO start either, since I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do with my life. But I knew I didn't want to deal with the GRE, or any of the other tests, or take out any loans, or use any tuition assistance that would mean I owed additional time in the Navy.  He told me I needed to work on my masters while I was on shore duty, so I did some research, found an accredited online program that I could afford, and got to work. I took 3 classes before I got out and ran out of money, and finally just got all of my GI bill paperwork done and can afford to pay for the rest of it. So I'm back to work, and as much of a pain in the neck it is, I'm glad to be doing it. It will absolutely help me with the job progression, and most of the other people in my office, even the young ones, have masters degrees. So go me!

No comments: