sub header

These words are my diary screaming out loud

Wednesday, December 08, 2010

#Reverb10 December 8th

The Prompt: Beautifully different. Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different - you'll find they're what make you beautiful.

OK, I REALLY don't like this prompt. There, I said it.

What makes me different is that I don't try to be the same as anyone else. I am me, take it or leave it, love it or hate it. My life is not about conformity. I have my own opinions, my own style (or lack thereof), my own way of doing things, and I'm not trying to be like anyone else, or be liked, or fit in. I mean, if that all happens anyways, great, but its not the goal.

But at the same time, I'm not trying to NOT be like anyone else, or NOT be liked, or NOT fit in either. Its not a rebellion thing or anything like that - I just don't have time in my life to be concerned with things like that, if that makes any sense at all, and I'm not sure that it does.

I think part of the reason this prompt is eliciting such a negative response from me is because of this whole diversity push lately. My generation, kids raised in the 80s and 90s, was brought up to focus on the things that make us the same, not the things that make us different. I like to think that's how I look at people - focusing on the things that I have in common with others and that I can share with them. And I think that many in my generation are the same way. So much of society wants to focus on the differences between people - gender, skin color, sexual orientation, religion, blah, blah, blah. I don't know about you, but I'm over it. I'm much more interested in whether or not someone enjoys music the way I do, loves their family, and is a generally good person than I am if they're Muslim, female, gay, or Hispanic.

Perhaps I read this the wrong way, or perhaps this attitude is what makes me different. I don't know, and I'm not sure that I'm particularly worried about figuring it out.

No comments: