sub header

These words are my diary screaming out loud

Tuesday, December 07, 2010

#Reverb10 December 7th

The Prompt: Community. Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011?
The first part of this question is easy - this year, I found a great community in Yelp!'s DC members.  Both online and in person, this group allowed me to make some new friends, get out and about, and get re-settled in the DC area, especially before Matt got here.  I was introduced to Yelp! back in Atlanta by my friend Eric, who got me in by telling Matt and I about the great parties he and his girlfriend were always attending courtesy of the site.  It turned out to be a pretty cool website - its a place where people can review businesses, primarily restaurants, but anything goes. It includes events pages, talk forums, and some of the other standard social-media things.  As with all websites, it has its detractors, but I've found it to be quite fantastic. I've used the site to find places to go when I'm traveling, I've gone to events to try out new places, and I've got a great new group of friends and a book club that I wouldn't have otherwise. I'll take it!

As far as what community I'd like to join in 2011, it's really more of a question of what community I'd like to REjoin.  When I lived here before, I had a GREAT time in the local music community. Several friends made, lots of music/show buddies, and many good times had by all. Since I've been back, I haven't had much of that. Perhaps because the scene changed a bit in the year and a half I was gone, perhaps because I just don't want to be going out on weeknights as much, perhaps because I'm trying not to spend as much money on things other than my debt, I don't know. But I kinda miss it! I'd love to try to reconnect with some of that group in 2011.

No comments: